You are here: Home Music Beat Shiverettes excited to play fem focussed FLIPfest
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Search

L.A. Beat

Shiverettes excited to play fem focussed FLIPfest

E-mail Print PDF

Calgary based  feminist band the Shiverettes are sure to be a highlight of FLIPFest this week.The Shiverettes play FLIPfest on Friday . Photo By Jarett Edmund
The band, including Hayley Muir - vocals; Kaely Cormack - guitar and vocals;Cecilia Schlemm - bass and backup vocals and drummer Steve Richter, open FLIPFest at the Owl Acoustic Lounge, Friday, Aug. 18 with local band W.I.T. S, Bunwitch and fellow Calgarian Time Boy.


“It’s  a perfect fit for us as Haley Muir and I co- founded FemFest in Calgary, which is about supporting Fem artists, we were very happy to open this festival at the Owl Acoustic lounge,” said guitarist/vocalist Kaely Cormack.


It will be their third show in Lethbridge.


“We played the Owl Acoustic Lounge in May when we released our CD “Dead Men Don’t Catcall,’ and we played a house concert last summer. it will be  the third time, if you count a garage show,” she continued, noting they were looking for a venue, and were offered the chance to play the garage of one of the members of local band J Blissette.


“It was kind of short notice, so we got drunk, rolled around the floor, made a lot of noise and pissed off the neighbours,” she laughed.
 They released their CD “Dead men Don’t catcall” on March 31.

“It]s been great. We sold out  all of the vinyl copies of the album because we really underestimated how many people  would want one. Which is great because you never know how people will react when we]re singing about the issues we]re singing about. So either people aren’t pissed off or people who are pissed off and opposed to it aren’t saying anything,“ she continued.

 


 She noted the Shiverettes are working on their next album, which they plan to record during the winter.
“It’s about 75 per cent written. The other 25 per cent is the hardest to write,” she said.


 “We’re not sure whether to play the new stuff now or wait until the album comes out so it will be a surprise,” she continued.


 She noted events like Flipfest are important to support.

“It’s really important. A lot of people talk about equality, but something like this forces people to put their money where their mouth is” she said.
 The band is busy playing a lot. They are playing the Massif Festival in Nelson in September. They are even having their own beer brewed.
“We’re working with  Village Breweries on a beer called Man Tears. The launch is on Thursday. So if we’re hungover on Friday, it’s because the beer was good,” she laughed.
The Shiverettes play a Flipfest show at the Owl Acoustic Lounge, Friday, Aug. 25.

— by Richard Amery,L.A. beat Editor
Share
Last Updated ( Tuesday, 15 August 2017 08:50 )  
The ONLY Gig Guide that matters

Departments

Music Beat

ART ATTACK
Lights. Camera. Action.
Inside L.A. Inside

CD Reviews





Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner


Music Beat News

Art Beat News

Drama Beat News

Museum Beat News